Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Roasted Purple Cauliflower and Garlic Soup


This week in our produce delivery from Timber Creek Farms we received a purple cauliflower. I had never seen one before and was excited at the challenge that something new presented. Turns out, it was beautiful and the soup was delicious. Plus, the girls got a huge kick out of eating purple soup!

1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ head garlic
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper

Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut the tips off of the head of garlic and place on a baking sheet with the cauliflower. Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables and season with the salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until soft and tender about 40 minutes.

1 Tbsp. olive oil
½ medium onion, finely chopped
3 Tbsp. flour
1 can (14oz.) chicken broth (preferably organic free range, but at least make sure it contains no MSG)
1 cup milk

Sauté onion until soft. Add flour and cook slowly while stirring for about 2 minutes over low heat. Add chicken broth and milk and stir until bubbly and thickened. Next, add the cauliflower and garlic (removed from their skins). Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Puree with a hand immersion blender until desired consistency is reached. Serve with a crusty bread and a leafy salad. To enhance the purple color of the soup, garnish with blue corn tortilla chips crumbled on top. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Marcel said...

Hello Lori, sounds delicious. I have never seen purple coliflower though. I have seen purple crisps. It is not genetical manipulated CF I hope?
I have changed my diet a lot the past few monhts, you wouldn't believe the amount of weight I have lost. Did I see that Matt is gaining again? I thought to see that on the picture of his blog...
Well cheers from Marcel, hope all is well with you guys!

betty said...

Además de bonita he leído en Google las propiedades de este tipo de coliflores, por cierto le llaman "Graffiti", su color viene dado por el alto índice de antocianina que al parecer es un muy buen antioxidante del grupo de los fenólicos y su proporción en este tipo de coliflor es 200 veces superior al de la coliflor blanca.
Pero no obstante lo que quería es pedirte que publiques una receta para hacer una tarta de Halloween, me apetece sorprender a Dahiala con un Cumple-Halloween y tu eres un genio haciendo tartas, y ahora no te tengo aquí para echarme una manita...¡Por favor! Una receta bilingüe de Halloween. BICOS

Lori said...

Marcel,
I checked with my food co-op and they do not sell any genetically modified produce. I was relieved to find out GM food cannot be certified as organic (ecológico).

Anonymous said...

Lori,
I am ready for some new recipes. When are you going to post some more?
Dianna